Further Mathematics AS level at Ellesmere Port Catholic High School
For some years now we have successfully offered AS and A-Level Further Mathematics to a small number of students.
IMPORTANT: you cannot take Further Mathematics without also taking Mathematics.
The aims of Further Mathematics include:
- Exploring mathematics for its intrinsic enjoyment.
- To develop your mathematical skills, creativity and to learn the art of concise mathematical communication.
- To understand the importance of proof.
- To support advanced study of mathematics at university, either as a subject in its own right or as part of a mathematically related degree.
- To set you on a path to high employability in a quantitative or economic career or help you become a professional mathematician. See Mr Capewell for information about careers which use high-level mathematics.
Further Mathematics is increasingly being sought as a prerequisite to university Mathematics courses. If you might want to study maths at university you should talk your options through with us. Some top university maths courses require additional entrance examinations too.
In year 12 we cover the material for AS Further mathematics (FP1, M1 and S1).
- FP1 - Inequalities; series;complex numbers; numerical methods; differential equations; polar coordinates.
M1 - Modelling with maths, vectors, particles moving in a line or plane, forces and moments.
S1 - Graphs & calculations with data; random variables; discrete & Normal distributions.
To really flourish in Further Mathematics you need to have rare intelligence, curiosity and determination. You will be the sort of student that is always wanting to know 'why?' as much as 'how?'
You will probably have really enjoyed mathematics for in the past and have natural fluency and flair with numbers, but you might have been bored at times by how easy it was - it won't be easy at A-level!
Since there will be times that learning new skills will challenge your abilities, and maybe for the first time for you in mathematics, and you will need emotional resilience to cope and stick with it until it makes sense.
You will have an A-grade or better in GCSE Mathematics and you must have studied in one of the top sets.
You must be able to take responsibility for your own learning and be willing to seek help outside of the timetabled school day.
Make no mistake; A-Level Further Mathematics is tough. You must be committed and talented to succeed. However, your mathematical skills will improve out of all recognition and you will most likely gain a top grade in the 'single mathematics' part of your A-level.
You will not need to be told that mathematics is a powerful, beautiful and important subject that will help you gain a deep, analytic un derstanding of the universe. Your talent at it could earn you excellent career prospects and perhaps your name on a theorem forever. Are you the special sort of person with the talent we're looking for?
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ellesmere Port Catholic High School directly.