Music Technology at Ringwood School Academy
Music Technology involves recording, composition and arrangement through the use of music technology. New technology is causing big changes in society and education. Music is affected by these changes and popular music increasingly makes use of sophisticated technology.
The course allows students to explore and make music through technology. It is very much a hands-on course with a lot ofpractical work and a 70% coursework element (60% at A2).
Students will learn and develop skills which will give them a thorough grounding in the use of technology, including sequencing, recording, arranging, editing, improvising, listening and analysis, producing and composition.
- Students wishing to take A Level Music Technology do not need to have taken Music GCSE though it would be an advantage. However, all students must have some theoretical knowledge of music.
- The ability to play the keyboard is essential for the completion of coursework.
- The ability to perform confidently on your own instrument will also be an advantage. A Level Music Technology students should attend Sixth Form Voices and at least one other extra-curricular activity.
Year 12 (AS units)
- Unit 1: Music Technology Portfolio 1 (70%)
- Task 1A: Sequenced Realised Performance
- Task 1B: Multi-track Recording
- Task 1C: Creative Sequenced Arrangement.
- Unit 2: Listening and Analysing (30%)
Year 13 (A2 units)
- Unit 3: Music Technology Portfolio 2 (60%)
- Task 3A: Sequenced Integrated Performance
- Task 3B: Multi-track Recording
- Task 3C: Composing using Music
- Unit 4: Analysing & Producing (40%)
Students are advised to provide their own good quality headphones.
Music Technology may be studied in preparation for Higher Education or for enjoyment as part of a balanced programme of study.
Music Technology prepares students for careers in sound engineering, recording, radio and television, composing and arranging, retailing, production and theatre/concert work. In the modern world musicians and technicians need everincreasing interchangeable skills.
A Level Music Technology is an ideal qualification to meet the needs of the 21st Century.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ringwood School Academy directly.