BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Sport CRE at Invictus Sixth Form
Who is this qualification for?
The Pearson BTEC National Extended Certificate in Sport is an Applied General qualification for post-16 learners who want to continue their education through applied learning and who aim to progress to higher education and ultimately to employment in the sport sector. The qualification is equivalent in size to one A Level, and it has been designed as full two-year programme when studied alongside a further Level 3 qualification.
What does this qualification cover?
The content of this qualification has been developed in consultation with academics to ensure that it supports progression to higher education. Employers and professional bodies have also been involved and consulted to confirm that the content is appropriate and consistent with current practice for learners who may choose to enter employment directly in the sport sector.
Learners will study three mandatory units:
• Unit 1: Anatomy and Physiology
• Unit 2: Fitness Training and Programming for Health, Sport and Well-being
• Unit 3: Professional Development in the Sports Industry.
Learners will also choose one optional unit from a range which has been designed to support choices in progression to sport courses in higher education, and to link with relevant occupational areas.
Specific Entry Requirements for this course - GCSE PE GRADE B
Unit 1 will be an exam. Unit will be a case study task that is set and marked externally. All other units will internally marked at Crestwood and are subject to verification procedure from the exam board.
What could this qualification lead to?
The qualification carries UCAS points and is recognised by higher education providers as contributing to meeting admission requirements for many courses if taken alongside other qualifications as part of a two-year programme of study. It combines well with a large number of subjects and supports entry to higher education courses in a very wide range of disciplines (depending on the subjects taken alongside). For learners who wish to study an aspect of sport in higher education, opportunities include:
• BA (Hons) in Sport Studies and Business, if taken alongside A Levels in Business and Maths
• BSC (Hons) in Sport Psychology, if taken alongside a BTEC National Extended Certificate in Applied Science and A Level in Psychology
• BA (Hons) in Sports Education and Special and Inclusive Education, if taken alongside an A Level in English Language and a BTEC National Extended Certificate in Performing Arts
• BA (Hons) in Sport and Exercise Science, if taken alongside a BTEC National Diploma in Applied Science.
Learners should always check the entry requirements for degree programmes with specific higher education providers
Jobs in the leisure and coaching industries are also areas where the qualification would be of benefit.
Mr S Evans
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.