Motor Vehicle (Maintenance & Repair) Apprenticeship at Uxbridge College
This apprenticeship deals with the repair and maintenance of all types of vehicles, from mopeds to lorries. There are more than 32 million vehicles on the UK’s roads, which mean we need plenty of motor vehicle technicians to keep them roadworthy. As an apprentice, you could work for a dealership and focus on a particular manufacturer, or work for an independent garage.
On the Advanced Level Apprenticeship, you’ll learn about more complex faults and how to identify and repair them using sophisticated diagnostic equipment.
Vehicle repair is challenging, hands-on work – every vehicle will present a new problem to solve. You’ll also need good communication skills in order to explain everything to the customer. But you’ll feel satisfied when the job’s done and that car is back on the road.
Here are a few examples of the units you may study –
- Routine light vehicle maintenance
- Removing and replacing light vehicle engine mechanical, lubrication, cooling systems, ignition, air and exhaust systems
- Removing and replacing light vehicle electrical or vehicle chassis systems
- Removing and replacing light vehicle transmission and driveline systems.
- Diagnosing and rectifying automotive vehicle auxiliary electrical faults
- Diagnosing and rectifying light vehicle engine faults or chassis system faults
- Diagnosis and rectification of light vehicle transmission and driveline faults.
- Aged 16+
- Working in or interested in Motor Vehicle - Maintenance and repair
- Have English and Maths at GCSE A – D or equivalent
- Need to complete a basic skills assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Level 2: Successfully completed a relevant level 2 course
- Level 3: Successfully completed a relevant level 3 course.
Assessments are carried out in your workplace.
Our assessor will come and visit you at work every 6-8 weeks and assess you in your job role. Visits usually last around two hours.
There is no cost for you to do an apprenticeship if you are 16-23 years old and you will be paid a wage.
NUS Apprentice extra Card
Apprentices can get discounts at over 120 high street and online retailers, please visit www.apprenticeextra.co.uk for more information.
Apprentice Oyster photocard
Apprentices can get up to 30% discounts on travel within London Borough. For more information, please visit https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/adultdiscounts-and-concessions/apprentice-oysterphotocard
- Further study: If you complete a Level 2 Apprenticeship, you may be able to progress onto Level 3. Apprentices that complete Level 3 may be able to go onto a Level 4 Higher Apprenticeship.
- Job opportunities: Level 2: Light vehicle service technician, heavy vehicle service technician, motorcycle service technician, auto electrical technician, mobile electrical installation technician, heavy vehicle trailer technician and lift truck technician. Level 3: Light vehicle diagnostic technician, heavy vehicle diagnostic technician, motorcycle diagnostic technician, auto electrical diagnostic technician, mobile electrical installation diagnostic technician and lift truck diagnostic technician.
Contact our apprenticeships department on
- 01895 853622 / 01895 853333
Please see the frequently asked questions on the next page for more information!
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Uxbridge College directly.