Accessibility links

Film Studies A Level at Nene Park Academy

Course description

Film is one of the main cultural innovations of the 20th century and a major art form of the last hundred years. Those who study it characteristically bring with them a high degree of enthusiasm and excitement for what is a powerful and culturally significant medium, inspiring a range of responses from the emotional to the reflective. Film Studies consequently makes an important contribution to society, studying it offers the opportunity to investigate how film works both as a platform of representation and as an aesthetic medium.

Course content

At the root of all film studies is a recognition that films are made: they are constructed using a range of elements – cinematography, mise-en-scène, sound, editing and performance (the key elements of film form) – which are organised structurally in terms of narrative and often genre (the structural elements of film form). How filmmakers use these elements, frequently in complex and highly artistic ways, is a large part of what constitutes the formal study of film. Equally important is how spectators respond to the work filmmakers create and how audiences interpret the films with reference to spectator response, relevant contexts, critical approaches and debates. Over the duration of the course we will study Hollywood Cinema, both classical and contemporary. We will also look at British Film, Global Film, Documentary and Experimental Film.

Films that we will study;

  • Vertigo (Hitchcock, 1958), PG
  • Blade Runner (Scott, 1982), 15
  • Inception (Nolan, 2010), 12A
  • La La Land (Chazelle, 2016), 12A
  • Shaun of the Dead (Wright, 2004), 15
  • Pan’s Labyrinth (Del Toro, Spain, 2006), 15
  • City of God (Mereilles, Brazil, 2002)
  • House of Flying Daggers (Zhang, China, 2004), 15
  • Life is Beautiful (Benigni, Italy, 1997), PG
  • Pulp Fiction (Tarantino, US, 1994), 18

Entry requirements

Standard: Five GCSE subjects at a minimum grade 4 or the equivalent including Maths and English.

Assessment

The course has an element of non-examined assessment which makes up 30% of the qualification. This will be a practical film production. The remaining 70% of the course is formally examined at the end of each year over two separate exams.

 

 

Future opportunities

As a course of study, A Level Film Studies will provide a strong base for progression to undergraduate studies in Film Theory, Film Criticism and Film History.

Further information

Exam Board: EDUQAS

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Nene Park Academy directly.

Last updated date: 25 September 2017
Provider logo

Key information

  • Start date: Next September
  • Duration: 2 Years
  • Course code: Film

Contact details

Venues