Mathematics with Mechanics A Level at Pimlico Academy
Mechanics is the branch of Mathematics that models the motion of bodies. This Maths course is recommended if you are planning on a career in Engineering or Investment Banking and complements the A-Level Physics course. Further Maths students must take this Maths course as Statistics is covered in their Further Maths lessons.
The course will enable students to:
- Acquire mathematical skills and knowledge and use them with confidence and enjoyment.
- Solve quite complicated problems using mathematical argument and logic, demonstrating what is meant by proof in mathematics.
- Simplify real life situations by using mathematical models to show what is happening and what might happen in different circumstances.
- Use calculator and computer technology / formulae booklets /statistical tables effectively and appropriately –understanding their limitations.
- Apply mathematics and recognise its significance to other disciplines
- Create mathematical models to describe objects in motion
The course will comprise of 6 modules, assessed through examination:
C1 Algebra and functions; coordinate geometry in the (x,y) plane; sequences and series; differentiation; integration.
C2 Algebra and functions; coordinate geometry in the (x,y) plane; sequences and series; trigonometry; exponentials and logarithms; differentiation; integration.
C3 Algebra and functions; trigonometry; exponentials and logarithms; differentiation; numerical methods.
C4 Algebra and functions; coordinate geometry in the (x,y) plane; sequences and series; differentiation; integration; vectors.
M1 Mathematical models in mechanics; vectors in mechanics; kinematics of a particle moving in a straight line; dynamics of a particle moving in a straight line or plane; statistics of a particle, moments
A2 M2 Projectile motion; use of calculus in kinematics; centres of mass; work, energy, power; collisions; statics of rigid bodies
Students must achieve grade A or above in Mathematics
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Pimlico Academy directly.