Engineering (Land-based) Level 3 at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
Would you like a career in land-based engineering? Would you like to develop your skills at an advanced level?
This course builds on your existing knowledge of engineering within the land-based industries. It gives a specialised knowledge of maintaining, servicing and repairing the equipment used within the sector. It also covers aspects of management and the running requirements of organisations. As well as preparing for a career, you will gain the skills to proceed into Higher Education.
The course is suitable for students progressing from Land-based Engineering Level 2 or from a Level 2 Work-based course. It is also ideal if you are proceeding from GCSE achievements, or from relevant experience. You will gain valuable hands-on experience through practical training sessions. You will also benefit from the excellent facilities of our Glynllifon campus and the expertise of our staff.
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Practical work, with classroom work to develop understanding
- The Glynllifon site is 750 acres of farm and woodlands, with facilities for agricultural engineering, electrical engineering and welding, allowing your studies to be carried out in a realistic setting.
- 4 GCSEs grade C or above which includes Welsh or English language and Mathematics
- Land-based Engineering Level 2, or equivalent
- Suitability to the course displayed in an interview with the course tutor where your experience in the subject area, basic skills ability, enthusiasm and willingness to learn will be considered
- Evidence of basic skills ability that will enable the learner to independently cope with the academic requirements of a level 3 vocational qualification. This evidence can be produced from either previous course work or from an aptitude test. This evidence will be assessed by a member of the College's Basic Skills team.
All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The programme will be assessed through a blend of the following:
- Practical assessment for most units
- Written assignments to show your understanding
Successful completion of the course will give you a range of options. The qualification is equivalent to 3 A Levels, and many students have progressed into Higher Education to study HNDs, Foundation degrees or Honours degrees.
You could proceed onto a number of higher education programmes programmes at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai, including Foundation Degree (FdSc) Agriculture, run jointly by Coleg Meirion-Dwyfor and Coleg Cambria in partnership with Aberystwyth University.
You could also proceed into employment, and will have the skills to work at an advanced level. You would also have the option of studying a Higher Education course whilst you work. You will be able to discuss your career with your personal tutor or the careers guidance team.
Land-based Engineering Career opportunities
- Agricultural Machinery Contractor
- Agricultural Buildings Constructor
- Construction Machinery Worker
- Farm Worker
- Trade Salesperson
Programme code: 0401F03B
This programme is available bilingually at the following campus(es):
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.