Accessibility links

Dance A Level at Pensby High School

Course description

In the first year (AS) you will have two main areas of study: ‘Understanding Dance’ and ‘Choreography and Performance’. Both are designed to get you on your feet dancing solo and with others, in a practical expression of your new-found skills. You will learn from studying the professionals and see how dance can have great meaning and expression. Your coursework will include physical, interpretative and performance skills.

The second year takes you up a step with two more study topics. In the first – ‘Dance Appreciation’ you will be able to choose from ballet, modern or jazz to study a dance genre in more detail. There will be a set work to study, chosen from three professional dance pieces. Then you will develop your choreography skills even further, creating a dance for others to perform. This area of study, called ‘Group Choreography and Solo Performance’ includes your very own performance in the style of one of the three genres.

Course content

Dance helps students develop a number of skills;

  • Visual appreciation of dance and choreography
  • Balanced judgement
  • Information gathering and assessment
  • Ability to work on your own or as part of a team
  • Communication

Entry requirements

You need at least a C in GCSE Dance. Students who have not taken GCSE Dance are still able to choose AS/A2 Dance but must have attained at least a C in English GCSE.

Assessment

In the first year you will sit a written paper on ‘Understanding Dance’. This paper will account for 40% of your AS marks. The remaining 60% of your marks are for practical coursework from your ‘Choreography and Performance’ study. The second year assessment is in two parts as well. The 90 minute paper you will sit on ‘Dance Appreciation’ accounts for 50% of your marks. A practical examination on group choreography and solo performance accounts for the remaining 50% of your A2 marks.

Future opportunities

GCE Dance is suitable for anyone wanting to pursue the arts or dance in Higher Education, or as support for any course requiring good communication and group work skills. In addition to performing, choreographing and teaching, this course may lead to such diverse careers as dance therapy or journalism. Many students who take dance at A level also take Drama and Theatre studies, Performing Arts and P.E. English Literature, Media Studies, Communication Studies and Music are also great companion courses.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Pensby High School directly.

Last updated date: 24 September 2015
Provider logo

Key information

Venues