Mathematics: Pure with Statistics and Mechanics AQA AS and A Level at Kingdown School
- looks at the application of techniques to the analysis of data and predication of events using Probability Theory.
- is the solution of real life physical problems using techniques from GCSE combined with new techniques developed in Pure Maths.
- Students taking Physics need to take Mechanics.
- mathematical theory that underpins both, providing the skills necessary for the options.
- This accounts for 2/3 of the course.
Those with GCSE grades at 8 or better are able to sit extra modules to achieve an AS/A2 level in Further Maths.
This exciting opportunity will allow you to study extra modules in Statistics and Mechanics and weird and wonderful aspects of Pure Maths.
This course is ideal for those who might have half an eye on a Maths based or even many science based degrees at University.
GCSE English grade (9-5) and higher tier Maths at grade 7 plus 3 GCSEs at grades A*-C. Students who gain a grade 6 in Maths at GCSE will be considered on an
Students will be expected to complete bridging work in the summer after GCSE and pass an introductory test which is taken during New Sixth Week.
Students will need to enjoy the subject and have a fairly logical and analytical mind in order to succeed.
The subject is hard work and will require a great degree of self-determination.
Students will also be required to attend tutorial sessions on a Tuesday/Wednesday after school as and when required.
- Pure & Mechanics
- Pure & Statistics
- All AS exams: 80 marks and 1 hour 30 mins
A Level Mathematics
- Pure Maths 1
- Pure Maths & Mechanics 2
- Pure Maths & Statistics
- All exams are: 100 marks and 2 hours
Any Mathematics qualification is looked on favourably by employers.
Statistics supports many other subjects such as Business Studies, Geography, Sociology, the Sciences whilst Mechanics supports Physics, Engineering, Design and Technical Science courses.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Kingdown School directly.