AS/A HISTORY (LATE) at Peter Symonds College
Unit 1: Historical Themes in Breadth
A World Divided: Communism and Democracy in the 20th Century
- Stalin’s Russia 1924-1953
- Pursuing Life and Liberty: Equality in the USA 1945-1968
Unit 2: British History in Depth
- British Political History 1945-90: Consensus and Conflict.
At A2, on both early and late courses, you will have the opportunity to study a topic that has attracted particular controversy amongst historians (Unit 3). For your coursework (Unit 4) you will carry out an investigation which covers a 100 year period.
- Late students will study the Cold War in Unit 3: A World Divided: Superpower Relations, 1944-90.
- Unit 4 coursework will be on the Making of the Modern China 1900-2000.
5 GCSE’s at Grades A*-C, including English and Maths. We strongly advise a Grade B in GCSE English due to the complexity of the texts studied and the need for advanced essay writing skills. We will, however, accept committed students with C grades in English. You will need a grade C in History, if you have taken it; however it is not a requirement to have studied History at GCSE provided you have an interest in the subject.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Peter Symonds College directly.