Photography AS/A2 Level at Nottingham Academy
Photography is a fascinating, fun and broadly practical subject
that helps you develop key skills in independent learning and
problem solving. You will be introduced to a variety of
experiences and will be encouraged to explore a range of
photography media and processes.
As a very practical and creative subject, that offers an
alternative way of working, photography can provide you with
a wider awareness of social and cultural context, along with a
variety of applicable skills. You will be encouraged to visit art
galleries and will have the opportunity to participate in an
annual trip to London and Birmingham.
You will produce practical and critical/contextual work in one or
more areas, including: portraiture, landscape photography,
documentary, experimental imagery or photographic
installation. Work is presented in the form of a portfolio, sketch
books or study sheets.
Units covered at AS
– Unit I: Coursework portfolio.
– Unit 2: Externally set assignment.
Units covered at A2
– Unit 3: Personal Investigation.
– Unit 4: Externally set assignment.
5+ A*-C grades at GCSE including C grade or above in English and
Art at KS4 is advisable.
– Verbal feedback given in lessons.
– Written feedback recorded in student course booklets.
– Units marked by teaching staff at end of year (May).
– AQA moderation of marks (June).
The course is designed as a stepping stone to the many
courses and careers that are available in the art, design and
– Foundation course (one year duration).
– Degree course in chosen area of study Eg. photography, fine
art, media studies, graphic design, journalism, web/game
design, fashion design, architecture, etc.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Nottingham Academy directly.