Refereeing Course at NPL Football Academy (Witton Albion)
On completion of year two, students will also undertake the basic refereeing course which will provide an introduction to the laws of the game as well as developing the practical skills required to be a football referee.
The course is run over 5 modules including the completion of 6 matches as a trainee referee, two of which should be observed by a referee coach. The course can either be predominantly theory or practically based dependant on venue and can be run over a weekend or several sessions again depending on resources.
Module 1- Introduction
This module will introduce some key aspects in the following:
- Laws of the Game
- The role of the Referee
- Consider the skills require to control a game of football
Module 2- Practical Element
Practical elements of the course will provide an introduction to:
- Warming up and cooling down activities
- Positioning & movement at both set pieces & in open play
- Managing game situations
- Signals & communication techniques
- FA Safeguarding Children workshop (included in the course programme)
Module 3 - Examination
Both a multiple choice examination paper and a practical on field assessment are used to establish theory & practical knowledge.
- Written element - both theoretical & practical courses
- Theory DVD - used in mainly theory based courses
- Practical on field assessment for use on practical based courses.
Module 4 – Refereeing
- 6 games are used to establish both the knowledge as well as the practicalities of refereeing.
- 2 of the games are observed by a referee mentor who offers immediate feedback and development points.
Module 5 - The next Steps
A 3 hour workshop designed to reflect on a trainee referees first experiences of refereeing and to offer development pointers.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact NPL Football Academy (Witton Albion) directly.