Biology A Level at The Cherwell School
Lessons will involve a variety of activities including whole class discussion, practicals and presentations, as well as visits and attending presentations from outside speakers as part of a series of The Cherwell sixth form Science Talks.
Year 12 topics include (AQA year 1 topics 1–4):
- Biological molecules (proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, DNA, RNA)
- Cell structure, microscopy and cell division
- Membrane transport
- Gas exchange in humans, fish and insects
- Cardiac cycle
- Mass transport in animals and plants
- Oxygen dissociation and haemoglobin
- Natural selection, speciation and biodiversity
Year 13 topics include (AQA A level year 2 topics 5–8):
- Sampling from ecosystems
- Gene expression, gene mutation and recombinant DNA technology
- Nervous and hormonal control
- Analysing data using statistical techniques
Students are expected to average grade B or above in the three science subjects if studying triple science. If the student is studying core and additional science they are expected to have achieved BB grades or above.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Cherwell School directly.