Complementary Therapies Advanced Technical Diploma Level 3 at Bolton College
Our full-time study programmes are designed to maximise your career prospects and widen your options for further or higher study.
Salon Owner? Mobile Therapist? Whatever your aim, this course will help you to kick-start your career!
Learning skills and techniques from the experts, you’ll soon progress on to treating members of the public within our professional beauty treatment rooms.
This Level 3 course provides a comprehensive background in complementary therapies and will prepare you for employment in the industry.
Work experience is an integral part of our study programmes, enabling you to gain essential exposure to the world of work.
What you'll learn
This course is made up of a variety of units, including:
- Body Massage
- Principles & Practices of Complementary Therapies
- Anatomy, Physiology & Pathology
- Setting Up a Business in Complementary Therapy
- 30 Hour Work Placement
Optional trips will also be available to enhance your learning experience.
If required for your chosen HE course, you may wish to study English & maths to Level 3.
Elements of study
Your programme consists of the following elements:
- Study of your chosen vocational subject
- English and maths (continued until the achievement of GCSE grade 4 (C) or equivalent)
- Employability skills (e.g. punctuality, attendance, communication and team work)
- Work experience (giving you a taste of working life)
- Tutorial & personal development (e.g. healthy living, volunteering and citizenship skills)
We ask that you have three GCSEs at grade 4 (C) or above and the Beauty Therapy Diploma Level 2.
We will invite you for an informal interview and ask you to provide a satisfactory school reference.
You will be assessed through a mixture of assignments, exams, practical assessments and case studies in a realistic work environment and classroom-based activities.
Government-funded Further Education courses are usually free if you are aged 16-18 and are a British or European Union resident. Financial help is available for some students, whose families are on low income. If you’re worried about the cost of going to College, why not pop in for a friendly chat with our Student Services team?
For any financial queries or information about available bursaries, feel free to contact Student Services at Deane Road by calling 01204 482 181/195 and asking for a member of the Student Finance Team; or alternatively, come by and see us – we’re here to help!
After you have completed the course you could progress on to a higher education course at college or university, or complete Level 4 Complementary Therapies.
Following further study you could work as:
- A Massage Therapist where you could earn between £20,000 and £30,000 a year, depending on experience.
- A Beauty Therapist, earning between £12,000 and £18,000 a year depending on experience with an average of £16,000
- A Salon Manager, earning around £18,000 and £21,000 a year.
We want to give you a positive experience at College and a rounded view of the industry you could one day be working in. So, during your time at College, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a range of activities, including:
- Receive training from industry professionals, such as Ellisons, Studex, St. Tropez and Dermalogica
- The annual Beauty Showcase, where you can display your creative and technical skills
- Opportunity to raise money for charity through offering treatments to the public
Our £75 million campus offers:
- A fitness suite and sports hall
- Apple Mac suites
- A theatre and dance studios
- A café selling Costa coffee
- Wella-approved hair salons
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural celebrations.
Number 1 for Achievement Rates
We’re the number one General Further Education College in Greater Manchester for 16-18 achievement rates for higher level qualifications.
Ofsted Grade 2 ‘Good’
In our last inspection we were graded 2 for ‘Good’. Ofsted highlighted the fact that our learners develop good employability and personal skills and that a high proportion progress to Apprenticeships, employment or Higher Education.
The College will support you throughout your time here; you will receive personal support from both your tutor and your Learning & Development Mentor. Support is also available from our dedicated Student Services team for personal, financial and careers guidance.
During their visit Ofsted commended the College for its provision of “well targeted information, advice and careers guidance, which meets individual needs and enables learners to make informed choices about the next steps in their learning and career”.
Discover what Bolton College can do for you by attending one of our Young People’s Open Events at our Deane Road campus.
Wednesday 17th October 2018, 4.30pm - 7pm
Thursday 22nd November 2018, 4.30pm - 7pm
Tuesday 5th February 2019, 4.30pm - 7pm
Wednesday 3rd October 2018, 3.30pm-7.30pm
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.