Information Technology BTEC Level 3 Certificate at Lytchett Minster School
You will gain a broad understanding of ICT used in business and in everyday life. You will develop knowledge and skills in a range of software and hardware applications, There is a broad range of study which covers many ICT related topics including database systems, social media and website design. This course is an exciting opportunity to learn about real-world developments in information and communication technology and to conduct investigations using work-related contexts. The course will prepare you for the world of work or further study at university.
The course has been rewritten to ensure suitable challenge and rigour in relation to more traditional A-levels, but still maintaining the vocational element that some learners prefer.
The course is designed to give maximum practical, hands-on, experience of using IT in the modern workplace. It gives experience and insight into using IT in a practical way, developing skills such as the ability to build computers from start and use current software productively. You will study computer systems and look at how they impact on society today, building up software.
- Unit 1 – Information Technology Systems – use of computer hardware and software; use of data and information; choosing an IT system; emerging technologies; the use of online systems; data protection and security.
- Unit 2 –Creating systems to manage information – database systems to manage information; relational database systems; manipulation of data; normalisation; database design; SQL language and creation of a system.
- Unit 3 – Using Social Media in Business – social media website and their impact / advantages; risks and issues; review of current social media plaƞorms in business; creating a social media account and website.
- Unit 4 Data Modelling - Investigate data modelling and how it can be used in the decision-making process Design a data model to meet client requirements Develop a data model to meet client requirements.
Grade 4 in Maths and English.
- Unit 1: 2 Hour written exam
- Unit 2: 10 Hour Controlled assignment
- Unit 3: Centre Assessed research Task
- Unit 4: Centre Assessed research Task
When taken alongside other Level 3 qualifications, including BTEC Higher Nationals or A Levels in complementary or contrasting subjects, such as mathematics, physics, science, arts or technology, the qualification gives learners the opportunity to progress to a degree in an information technology discipline or a degree where information technology related skills and knowledge may be advantageous.
This qualification carries UCAS points and is recognised by higher education providers as meeting admission requirements to many relevant courses. As the content is equivalent in size to one A Level, higher education representatives have confirmed that it is appropriate to allow learners to choose their optional units from a wide range so that they can explore their own choice of areas for further study.
The qualification supports entry to, for example:
- HND in Business • BA (Hons) in Computer Arts
- BSc (Hons) in Fashion Buying Management
- BSc (Hons) in Software Development for Animation
- BA (Hons) in Accounting and Finance.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Lytchett Minster School directly.