Sport Development and Coaching - Level 3 BTEC National Foundation Diploma in Sport/National Extended Diploma at Vision West Nottinghamshire College
This course provides an excellent foundation for anyone wishing to enter the sport and fitness industry or progress in to Higher Education.
This course has been designed to develop your skills in a wide range of areas, ensuring you have the knowledge to confidently coach and advise on a variety of sports related subject areas.
You will develop a range of skills through units which will include:
- Professional development in the sports industry
- Anatomy and physiology
- Fitness training and programming for health, sport and wellbeing
- Practical sports performance
- Coaching for performance
- Application of fitness testing
- Research methods in sport
- Sports event organisation
As part of the course you will be expected to complete a minimum of 40 hours work placement per year for 'on the job' training and assessment.
GCSE in English and maths at an appropriate level will also be studied if you have not attained a GCSE grade C or above. These qualifications are designed to enhance your employment opportunities.
- Principles of anatomy and physiology in sport
- The physiology of fitness
- Sports nutrition
- Practical team sport
- Leadership in sport
- Psychology for sports performance
- Fitness training and programming
- Sports injuries
- Fitness testing for sport and exercise
- Assessing risk in sport
The programme of study will include a mandatory work placement which you will be expected to arrange and complete with an industry relevant employer. As part of your studies you will also be expected to participate in work experience, volunteering and fund raising for charities.
- Four GCSEs with at least 4 points (grade C) including English and maths OR
- A related BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Sport at merit level.
You will need to attend an interview with the tutor before being accepted on to the course. You may also need to supply at least one written reference from a teacher or employer (in some cases two) and/or your current school or college report.
Mature students (those aged 21 or over) who do not have the qualifications required for entry may still be eligible, subject to an interview. Relevant experience, a strong portfolio of work and a commitment to the subject you wish to study may be acceptable for certain courses.
- Practical and task-based work
- Case studies
What can I go on to study?
- Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport (Development, Coaching and Fitness) leading to:
- FdA Sport Coaching and Development (available at the college)
- FdSc Sport and Exercise Science
- Other university-level courses in a related subject area
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Vision West Nottinghamshire College directly.