Accessibility links

Criminology - BTEC Level 3 at The Howard School

Course description

There are four units in the course. Two will be studied in year twelve and two will be studied in year thirteen.

Year 12 Content Unit One: Changing awareness of crime Unit Two: Criminological theories

Year 13 Content Unit Three: From the crime scene to the courtroom Unit Four: Crime and punishment

Applications made to The Howard School can be made by both male and female students.

 

Course content

Resources will be readily available for the use of the students and the expectation is that all students will use these extensively. There will also be preparation for the exam and course work which will work simultaneously so that all course material is completed by the end of each Academic year. All students are expected to complete all set work at their due dates and a high level of diligence is expected from all students

Before embarking on this course of study it may be useful to watch any legally based programmes and to look at any of the texts listed below.

Criminology The basics by Sandra Walklate

Criminology A sociological introduction by Eamon Carrabine.

Entry requirements

Minimum of Grade 4 in English and 4 additional A* - C Grades at GCSE including a Humanities subject

Assessment

This course is broken down into four units, two of which will be studied in year twelve and two in year thirteen. There are two units which are coursework based and two which are exam based .In year twelve the students will submit their coursework and they will write an exam in June .This is the same for year thirteen.

The coursework unit is worth 25% of the final grade and the exam accounts for the remaining 75%. Grades are awarded from A*-E

Further information

Skills that you will obtain:

The ability to solve problems.

The skills of project research

The fundamental ability to work alongside professionals.

Areas of study that you can pursue

BSc Criminology

BA Criminology

BSc Criminology and criminal justice.

LLB (Hons) Law with Criminology

BA (Hons)Criminology

BSc Criminology with Lawn0OWhat courses or employment can I progress to at the end of the course?

Areas of Employment

National Probation service

The courts and tribunal service

The National offender management Service

How to apply

You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.

Last updated date: 05 December 2016

Key information

  • Start date: Next September

Venues