Animal Management 90 Credit and Extended Diploma Level 3 at Boston College
This course is for those that are interested in a career within the animal care industry or want to progress onto a university course.
You will complete a 90 Credit Level 3 Diploma in the first year, and then have the opportunity to progress onto a top-up course in the second year which will give you a Level 3 Extended Diploma.
During the 90 Credit Diploma in Animal Management you will study the following units:
- Understand and Promote Animal Health
- Undertake Animal Handling and Safe Working
- Plan and Monitor Animal Feeding
- Manage Animal Accommodation
- Understand the Principles of Animal Nutrition
- Understand and Interpret Animal Behaviour and Communication
- Understand Exotic Animal Health and Husbandry
- Understand Animal Welfare and Breed Development
- Understand the Principles of Animal Nursing
- Undertake Animal Training
If you choose to continue your studies onto the top-up Extended Diploma you will study a wide range of units which may include:
- Understand the Principles of Animal Biology
- Understand Animal Anatomy and Physiology
- Undertake an Investigative Project
- Undertake and Review Work Experience
- Understand and Undertake Wildlife Management and Rehabilitation
- Understand the Principles of Animal Breeding and Genetics
- Fundamentals of Science
- Understand the Principles of Inheritance and Genetic Manipulation
- Undertake Pet Store Design and Animal Management
You will study in our new purpose build animal care unit on site as well as science laboratories.
Alongside the above units you will be required to take part in work experience outside of your timetabled hours.
In addition to your course, you will also study either Functional Skills or GCSE English and Maths, dependent on your current GCSE grade.
Trips are planned throughout the year. Most trips are directly linked to the course, however there is a department fun trip at the end of the year.
As well as trip, a number of guest speakers are invited into the College throughout the academic year.
5 GCSEs at grade C or above (New GCSE grade - 4 or above).
If you are concerned about the above entry requirements an alternative course available is the Animal Care Diploma Level 2, which can be used to progress onto the Level 3 course the following year.
This course is 40% practical and 60% theory. You will be assessed using a variety of different methods including group work, case studies, presentations, course work and work based evidence.
Additional costs may include £30.00 for trips.
Successful completion of this course can progress onto a Animal Management HND course, or other animal related courses at university such as Animal Management, Zoology, Marine Biology, Animal Psychology.
You can also progress into employment in the animal industry such as RSPCA Collection Officer, Wildlife Assistant, Trainee Veterinary Nurse, Pet Store Associate, Laboratory Technician, Kennel/Cattery Assistant, Canine Technician and Animal Sitter/Walker.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Boston College directly.