Make Up Artist Diploma Level 3 at Gloucestershire College
This is an exciting course aimed at those who wish to specialise in the creative field of make-up artistry. This course will develop your creative skills to prepare you in readiness for a career in this competitive industry.
You will be developed by our highly specialised and industry experienced make-up artist tutors and you will study a wide range of make-up styles and techniques:
- Fashion and photographic make-up
- Special effect make-up
- Remedial camouflage
- High definition airbrush make-up
- Body painting
- Hair- up techniques and dressing hair for various occasions
- Anatomy and physiology
- Health and safety
- Client care in beauty related industries
Alongside these vocational subjects students will be expected to undertake:
- Industry related work placement in a spa
- English and Maths
- Character development
- Independent study where students will undertake independent learning to enhance their understanding of the vocationally related theory
- Charity, community and voluntary events often related to hair and beauty which may be in addition to your timetabled hours
- Seminars and workshops with industry employers, suppliers and guest stylists
- Trips and visits such as BBC, museums, West End show
- In house, regional and national competition work
- It is recommended that you have achieved a Level 2 in Hair, Beauty or Make-up and achieved a Functional Skills English at Level 2.
- Direct entry to this qualification will be considered at interview on an individual basis, although applicants should have a 5 GCSE Grade A*-C with one of the subjects being English.
- Entry to the course is subject to a satisfactory reference, record of good attendance and a successful interview.
- Applicants will need to demonstrate creativity in abundance, an artistic flair, good interpersonal skills, enthusiasm, commitment and an ability to communicate effectively.
This course is assessed continually using a variety of methods. These include practical assessments, written tests and written assignments, with extensive home study, preparation and research.
Material fees apply to cover product usage and learning resources whilst training.
Professional hairdressing, make-up equipment and uniform are set kits which are supplied by external specialist companies arranged by the School.
On completion of the course you could progress to Higher Education such as a Level 4 in Theatrical/Media Make-up or gain employment within the media, theatre or as a freelance makeup artist.
- You must provide your own models for the practical assessments throughout the course in order to participate in college competitions and excursions. Practice is essential on peers.
- The college uniform for this subject is a black t-shirt with logo/trousers and shoes.
- Students may wish to use own digital camera/ mobile phone cameras to create evidence for their portfolio.
- You will be required to participate in relevant off-site work activities.
- Own transport may need to be provided and these activities are often during evenings and weekends.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Gloucestershire College directly.