English Literature A level at Harris Academy Bermondsey
If you enjoyed English at GCSE and would like to delve deeper into literature, then this is the course for you.
Students learn to understand how narrative works, to look at genre and to learn about critical approaches to texts.
Students discover how central narrative is important to the way literary texts work and they are introduced to the different aspects of genre. Encouraging wide and independent reading, the course also considers different types of critical approach and how texts can reflect cultural meanings.
Students focus on genre and meaning through a variety of interesting set texts. They are encouraged to extend their awareness of critical methods and become independent readers.
Genre and narrative are at the core of this specification. Students see that literature consists of possible groups of texts which can be categorised, their meaning negotiated in many different ways. They compare how stories can be told to create different realities and convey cultural meanings.
- 5 A*-B grades at full course GCSE subjects in addition to a minimum of '6' in both English and Mathematics GCSE
- Minimum of B grades at GCSE in the subjects you are wishing to study at A level
- 3 A*-C grades at full course GCSE subjects in addition to a minimum of '6' in both English and Mathematics GCSE
- Minimum of B grades at GCSE in the subjects you are wishing to study at A Level
- 3 A*-C grades at full course GCSE in addition to a minimum of '5' in English and Mathematics GCSE
- Minimum of a B grade GCSE in the subject you are wishing to study at A Level
English literature A level is highly regarded at top universities. It is a requirement for many courses including English, law, journalism, media, social sciences, history and politics. Careers directly linked to the study of English are journalism, law, teaching, writer, copywriter, advertising, marketing and public relations.
English literature is a facilitating subject, allowing students to be successful across many different careers and courses.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Harris Academy Bermondsey directly.