Music BTEC Level 3 Certificate and Subsidiary Diploma at Samuel Ryder Academy
This is a very practical course designed for keen musicians wanting to study all aspects but with a focus on performance. Students must complete 3 core units and 3 specialist units in order to complete the course. These units are linked to professional scenarios and/ or music industry related research. The specialist units the students study are flexible, depending on interests and strengths.
Students study one core unit and two optional units in the first year. For the core unit, students set SMART targets and develop a number of solo and ensemble performances. At A-Level students will study a core unit in developing solo performance skills leading to a 30 minute performance recital. Students then can study a range of units listed below to a total of 2 for AS-Level and 4 for A-Level.
- Aural Perception Skills
- Classical Music in Practice
- Composing Music
- Improvising Music
- Improvising Music in a Jazz Style
- Listening Skills for Music Technologists
- Live Music Workshop
- Marketing and Promotion in the Music Industry
- Modern Music in Practice
- Music in the Community
- Music Performance Session Styles
- Music Project
- Musical Theatre Performance
- Pop Music in Practice
- Studying Music from Around the World
- The Music Freelance World
- The Sound and Music Industry
- Singing Techniques and Performance
- Special Subject Investigation
A minimum of five GCSE grades A* to C including English and Mathematics is required in addition to the subject specific requirements for those subjects intended for study at Advanced Level or BTEC.
Candidates are also invited to attend an interview. On the basis of their interviews and in the case of external applications, a report from their current school is also required. An offer of a conditional place may then be made but the offer remains provisional until the students’ results are known.
- Five GCSE grades at A*-C.
- Grade B for GCSE English Language and C for Mathematics.
- Good written skills
- Perform at a Grade 4 level (Associated Board/ Trinity/ Rock School)
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Samuel Ryder Academy directly.