Art & Design (Photography) A level at Havering Sixth Form College
On this course you will explore a range of photographic media and digital software to develop creative ideas in an art context. You will have the opportunity to learn how to use the camera, develop your technical skills and develop imaginative outcomes in response to set projects. You will also analyse the work of artists and photographers through written tasks and discussions.
On the course you can expect to:
- Complete a thorough induction to using a DSLR camera and to editing your photographs using software such as Photoshop and Nik Collection.
- You will learn to take photographs using a number of different camera settings (e.g. fast shutter speed, shallow depth of field) and to use different lenses & filters (e.g. 50mm lens, close up filters, neutral density filters).
- You will explore the work of different artists and photographers, looking beneath the surface of their images to discover both meaning and context. This will enable you to learn the skills required to analyse the work of artists that particularly interest you and who are influential on your own practice.
- You will be given the opportunity to work in a number of different photographic genres, including, portraiture, landscapes, urban, still-life, fashion & beauty, abstract and advertising.
- In the U6th year you will complete independent coursework projects (60%) and a practical 10 hour exam - along with preparatory studies (40%). You will also complete a Personal Study (usually an extended essay).
One grade B and four grade Cs at GCSE; Grade C in GCSE Art and Design or equivalent (e.g. Textiles/Graphics/Photography). If you have not studied a creative subject at GCSE please come to Freshers/interview with a portfolio of at least 15 examples/images of creative work (e.g. drawing, painting, photography, graphics, textiles, 3D models/sculpture, film, animation or performance).
Exam Board - Edexcel
60% Coursework, 40% Exam
£25 - You will be expected to own your own DSLR camera (no hybrids). Additional close up filters approx £10. Tripod, spare battery and SD card are also useful. 2 x A3 prints costing £3 and an option to produce a book of photos approx. £15-£25.
This course can lead to further study in Photography or Art & Design. Havering Sixth Form College offers an Art & Design Foundation Diploma which is designed for students who have completed at least one Level 3 Art & Design subject. This Foundation course will facilitate progression to appropriate Higher Education courses. A-Level Photography is also useful for those wanting to study Media and Film courses.
This is a digital Photography course and therefore most photographs and related imagery are created through the combination of digital cameras and digital editing software. Should you wish to use your own additional film based camera, then this is welcomed (however the processing of film based photos will need to be offsite).
The display of all the work will be on blog sites. It is important to remember that you will be expected to work independently on this course and are responsible for taking your photographs either during lesson or in your own time. It is vitally important that you turn up to lessons with either a studio booked out or with photographs already taken.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Havering Sixth Form College directly.