Travel & Tourism BTEC Level 2 Extended Certificate at Macclesfield College
This is a fantastic work-related course where you will learn by completing projects and
assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations and activities including
international travel and tourism destinations. This course will introduce you to your chosen career and provide a good basis to progress onto a more advanced qualification.
During this course you will study twelve units in total. Four mandatory core units will provide a general foundation and eight specialist units will introduce you to particular topics in more depth.
- The UK travel and tourism sector
- UK travel and tourism destinations
- International travel and tourism destinations
- Travel and tourism business environments
- Factors affecting worldwide travel and tourism
- Organising a travel and tourism study visit
- Holiday representatives
- Hospitality operations in the travel and tourism sector
- The cruise industry
- The travel and tourism customer experience
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade C or above. If you have achieved a grade C or above in GCSE English and Maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
For this course you will need to have achieved one of the following:
- A minimum of 4 GCSEs Grade D or above, ideally to include English Language
- A Level 1 qualification (e.g. BTEC Level 1 Diploma)
A GCSE in Geography qualification would also be advantageous.
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
All BTEC Level 2 Extended Certificate in Travel and Tourism units are assessed through 80% internal project and assignment work and
20% external assessments. Each unit is graded Pass, Merit or Distinction and then an overall grade of Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction* is awarded on completion of the course. You have the opportunity in some units to be assessed at Level 1.
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination and portfolio work.
You will have the opportunity to take part in travel, educational and industrial visits both here and abroad during your course. A financial contribution of £300 towards the cost of these visits is to be paid during the first term. Possible visits may include Paris and Airport Tours but could be subject to change.
On successful achievement of this course you may wish to:
- Apply to study the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Travel and Tourism
- Pursue employment with an Airline or within Airport Operations
- Enter a travel and tourism related career within travel companies, travel agencies, leisure organisations, leisure centres or theme parks for example
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Macclesfield College directly.