Plumbing Level 1 Diploma at New College Durham
A full-time course of primarily a practical nature for people who wish to pursue a career in Plumbing. The training is undertaken in our new well-equipped workshops were you will gain hands on experience and theoretical knowledge as part of the course. This will then give you a good understanding of Basic plumbing.
For this award you will study a number of units and complete a portfolio of work.
Units for the qualification include the following content:
- Understand and carry out safe working practices in Building Services Engineering
- Understand how to communicate with others within Building Services Engineering
- Understand how to apply environmental protection measures within BSE
- Understand fundamental scientific principles within building services engineering
- Understand and carry out copper pipe fabrication work for domestic plumbing systems
- Understand and carry out low carbon steel pipe fabrication work for domestic plumbing systems
- Understand and carry out plastic pipe fabrication work for domestic plumbing systems
- Understand the key features of domestic plumbing systems
- Understand and demonstrate techniques for installing and securing plumbing pipework
As well as this you will also receive a weekly tutorial, take part in course enrichment activities and study Maths and English at your appropriate level.
This course is assessed by a range of methods that will include practical training exercises, practical assessments and other coursework. Continuous assessment will be in the form of practical and written assignments within online assessments.
No formal qualifications are required. However GCSE's at Grade D are desirable. Additional support will be provided if required. As part as the admissions procedure you will have an interview with a member of the curriculum team and also undertake initial assessments in literacy, numeracy and practical skills.
This qualification could lead to progression onto an Apprenticeship programme or other electrical based courses. Students may continue their training in order to achieve a Plumbing Qualification at Level 2.Related careers
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact New College Durham directly.