Business A Level at Kingsmead School
Content is designed to engage students through topics and issues that are relevant in today’s society – they will study key contemporary developments such as digital technology and business ethics, and globalisation is covered throughout topics.
Students will develop the knowledge and skills needed to analyse data, think critically about issues and make informed decisions – all skills that are needed for further study and employment.
Subject Content: 1-6 below is covered in AS. All content is covered in A-Level
1. What is business?
2. Managers, leadership and decision making
3. Decision making to improve marketing performance
4. Decision making to improve operational performance
5. Decision making to improve financial performance
6. Decision making to improve human resource performance
7. Analysing the strategic position of a business (A –Level only)
8. Choosing strategic direction (A-Level only)
9. Strategic methods: how to peruse strategies (A-Level only)
10. Managing strategic change (A-Level)
There is no requirement to have studied a Business related subject at GCSE to study the subject at ‘A’ level.
Question papers use a variety of assessment styles including multiple choice, short answer, data response, essay and case studies so that students feel more confident and engage with the questions. Real life case studies will be used wherever possible to make it easier for students to relate to and apply their knowledge and skills developed throughout the course.
AS: 2 papers includes 1-6 above (under modules/content). Both papers are a written exam 1 hour 30 minutes. 80 marks each in total each paper is 50% of AS
A2: 3 papers with all subject content covered. Each paper is a written exam of 2 hours with 100 marks in total. Each paper is worth 33.3% of the A-level.
Business Studies can be studied successfully alongside many other subjects and, as a result, career opportunities open to those who have studied the subject can be wide ranging. Students can follow many degree-based courses or alternatively they may choose business apprenticeships or enter advertising, banking, accounting and marketing, amongst other careers.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Kingsmead School directly.