Sport (Football Academy) Level 3 BTEC Diploma at Isle of Wight College
The Level 3 Football Coaching Programme is run in conjunction with Portsmouth In The Community. The programme will cover theoretical and practical aspects of sport and coaching, and provide a detailed understanding of the leisure and football industries. You will also have the chance to develop practical coaching experience by assisting with community football programmes run by Portsmouth across the Island.WHO IS THE COURSE FOR?
This course is for students who enjoy academically rigorous learning. It is for anyone who wants to be prepared for work in a professional sport & leisure setting, or who wants to be a sports teacher, or who plans to continue their studies at university.
This is an opportunity to gain nationally recognised qualifications in sport, coaching, and the leisure industry. The programme will also cover employability skills, to prepare learners for future careers.
On the Level 3 course you will gain a wide range of skills including how to:
- Design and conduct training sessions for skilled players.
- Develop the skills used by particular playing positions (defender, midfielder, and striker).
- Be confident managing and leading a team.
- Coach technical and tactical skills.
- Develop strategies including formations, team shape, etc.
- Design training programmes, including fitness routines, etc.
- Identify and adapt football activities and sessions for a variety of age groups.
- Identify personal development opportunities in football including administration and officiating.
- Promote and establish working relationships between players, coaches, parents and officials.
You will be assessed by a mixture of written projects and assignments and practical assessment.
Applicants must pass an admissions interview, and have 5 GCSEs at grade C or above or equivalent alternative qualifications. GCSE Maths and English at C or above are essential. Current College students must have also successfully completed their current functional skills qualification and have demonstrated good levels of attendance. Applicants should also be aware that the course is quite demanding physically.
Students who successfully complete this course may progress onto a related Foundation Degree programme (which could then be topped up to a full degree, qualifying the student to enrol in a PGCE). Alternatively, successful students will be in a position to apply for employment in professional football settings.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Isle of Wight College directly.