AS/A2 Religious Studies *Fees payable* at Lincoln Minster School
This course is designed to appeal to students from any religious background and those from none.
This course may build on the knowledge, understanding and skills that students have developed through the study of GCSE Religious Studies; they do not however, assume or require any previous study of the subject, so GCSE RS is not a pre-requisite, though may be desirable.
• To develop an interest in and enthusiasm for a rigorous study of religion;
• To treat the subject as an academic discipline by developing knowledge and understanding appropriate to a specialist study of religion;
• To use an enquiring, critical and empathetic approach to the study of religion.
The course will focus specifically on Philosophy and Ethics and from Christianity as the main religion.
The AS GCE and Advanced GCE specifications require candidates to:
1. Study one or two religions across the following areas:
• Philosophy of Religion;
• Religious Ethics.
2. Acquire knowledge and understanding of:
• The key concepts within Philosophy and Ethics [e.g. religious beliefs, teachings, doctrines, principles, ideas and theories] and how these are expressed in texts, writings and / or practices;
• The contribution of significant people, traditions or movements to Philosophy and Ethics;
• Religious language and terminology;
• Major issues and questions arising from Philosophy and Ethics;
• The relationship between Philosophy and Ethics and other specified aspects of human experience.
This course follows a modular structure. In Year 12 students will take two modules:
• AS Philosophy of Religion
• AS Religious Ethics
Areas of study will include:
• Ancient Greek Influences on Philosophy of Religion – Plato and Aristotle
• Judaeo – Christian influences on Philosophy of Religion
• Traditional arguments for the existence of God
• Challenges to Religious Belief
Ethical theories such as:
• Natural Law
• Kantian Ethics
• Religious Ethics
We will then apply these ethical theories to a variety of topics such as:
• Abortion; the right to a child
• Genetic Engineering
• War and Peace
A further two modules will be taken at A2:
•A2 Philosophy of Religion
•A2 Religious Ethics
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Lincoln Minster School directly.