Professional Cookery City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma at Doncaster College
The chef diploma series are in-depth and detailed qualifications into professional cookery. Following on from the VRQ Level 1 Diploma, the course focuses on the skills and techniques needed when preparing and cooking ingredients for both Larder and Patisserie.
You will work in the kitchens to supply all types of dishes to the Waterfront Restaurant through skills sessions and Bakery and Patisserie items for desserts and afternoon tea through bakery classes. You will be required to complete several assignments and on-line food safety tests. You will also sit several skills tests through the year and 2 final tests to test your culinary skills.
The practical units of the qualification will help you to develop your skills in the following areas of Larder and Patisserie.
Larder skills include:
- Prepare and cook stocks, soups and sauces
- Prepare and cook fruit and vegetables
- Prepare and cook meat and offal
- Prepare and cook poultry
- Prepare and cook fish and shellfish
- Prepare and cook rice, pasta, grains and egg dishes
Pastry Skills include
- Produce hot and cold desserts and puddings
- Produce paste products
- Produce biscuit, cake and sponge products
- Produce fermented dough products
All these areas will be covered in great depth typical of a level 2 qualification. Alongside the practical skills you will also be required to research and develop assignment work for necessary core knowledge of the Hospitality and Catering industry, these area include
- Investigating the Catering and Hospitality Industry
- Food Safety In Catering
- Health and safety in catering and hospitality
- Healthier foods and special diets
- Kitchen operations, costs and menu planning
- Applying workplace skills
This course will run alongside a VRQ level 2 Food and beverage Service qualification. Units covered include
- Legislation in food and beverage service
- Menu knowledge and design
- Principles of beverage product knowledge
- Service of hot beverages
- Food and beverage service skills
- Handling payments and maintaining the payment point
- Principles of customer service in hospitality, leisure travel and tourism
This will give you a solid understanding of how this area works and how the links between the kitchen and restaurant are fundamental.
- City and Guilds Level 1 Diploma in Introduction to Professional Cookery
- NVQ Level 1 in Food Preparation
- For equivalent qualifications see the Entry Requirements Explained page
- Relevant Industrial Experience
- All applicants must complete an initial assessment in Maths and English and attend an interview
Assessment for this qualification consists of
- 8 practical tests throughout the year
- 2 end of year synoptic practical exams (1 larder exam, 1 pastry exam)
- Written assignment work
- Short Answers Questions
Following successful completion learners may progress onto the Professional Cookery Level 3 Advanced Diploma or the Professional Cookery Level 3 NVQ.
Take up commis chef/apprentice chef position within a Hotel/Café/Restaurant.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Doncaster College directly.