Information and Creative Technology Level 2 Diploma at Truro and Penwith College
You’ll start off by exploring how ICT is used in many different ways and understand how useful ICT can be in daily life. The ability to research effectively can save you so much time and develop your knowledge of what is required to make projects work successfully. You already use ICT in your personal life, so why not consider how it is used in business? We show you why it really is a necessity. Completing the course gives an ideal opportunity to use specialist software applications such as Photoshop Pro Flash, and ‘Komposer’, which you will use to build a website for your portfolio. You will also learn some coding that will give you an insight into how the professionals do things.
Then, you’ll learn how websites are developed and understand the importance of high quality sites. Most companies today have their own website and there are many jobs today that incorporate the skills of website development.
A knowledge of what makes the computer work and what to look for when it doesn’t is also valuable to you and you will cover this when studying hardware elements of the course. You will also experience a 3D Printer and Robotic arms working.
Later, you will discover the impact ICT has had on the world. ICT is constantly evolving and creates many career opportunities for the skilled professional.
The course is Modular consisting of two externally and five internally assessed units.
- Unit 1 Online World - This unit will give you valuable knowledge on how we use ICT in our lives. We look at real time use of ICT. This unit is externally examined.
- Unit 2 Technology Systems - This unit will give you the opportunity to develop your understanding of how ICT works. We look at the technology used and the processes involved. This unit is externally examined.
- Unit 3 A Digital Portfolio - This is a core unit and will allow you to create your own digital ongoing record of your progress. This is where you will create your own website that will give the reader an insight into the work you are doing. You will develop your website and complete assignments.
- Unit 4 Creating Digital Animation - This unit will allow you to design, create and develop your animation. You will use applications such as Flash. You will develop your animation skills and complete assignments.
- Unit 6 Creating Digital Graphics - This unit will allow you to design, create and develop graphics. This is a valuable skill that can be used in Unit 3. You will develop your graphics and complete assignments.
- Unit 13 Website Development - This unit will allow you to design, create and develop your own website. This is a valuable skill that can be used in Unit 3. You will develop your website and complete assignments.
- Unit 14 Installing and Maintaining Computer Hardware - This unit will allow you to develop an understanding of what is inside your computer. You will have an understanding of how to install components and fault find. This unit is assessed by assignments.
3 grade E GCSEs which should include Maths and English.
Your achievement in this subject is dependent upon excellent attendance and punctuality.
You will learn in a friendly atmosphere, using a variety of assessment methods:
- You will be assessed regularly on assignments and given feedback on your progress.
- Discussions and presentations are a vital part of our assessment process and you will be expected to contribute to those.
- You will review your own performance in 1:1 sessions with your tutor.
- You will be formally examined on Units 1 & 2. The examinations are online and taken throughout the year. Other units are all assessed by the production of assignments.
Successful completion of the course to at least an overall merit will allow progression to the Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT.
We encourage all students to undertake their own independent research into the area of ICT.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Truro and Penwith College directly.