Art and Design A Level at Caistor Grammar School
This is a 2-year linear course which builds on knowledge and experience gained throughout KS4.
Qualification aims and objectives
The aims and objectives of the Edexcel Level 3 Advanced GCE in Art and Design are to enable students to develop:
- intellectual, imaginative, creative and intuitive capabilities
- investigative, analytical, experimental, practical, technical and expressive skills, aesthetic understanding and critical judgement
- independence of mind in developing, refining and communicating their own ideas, their own intentions and their own personal outcomes
- an interest in, enthusiasm for and enjoyment of art, craft and design
- their experience of working with a broad range of media
- an understanding of the interrelationships between art, craft and design processes and an awareness of the contexts in which they operate
- knowledge and experience of real-world contexts and, where appropriate, links to the creative industries
- knowledge and understanding of art, craft, design and media and technologies in contemporary and past societies and cultures
- an awareness of different roles, functions, audiences and consumers of art, craft and design.
You will be expected to work independently during lesson time as well as during study periods and at home. You will need to be very self-motivated and driven as the quantity and quality of work required for assessment is significant. You will need to be able to generate your own ideas and be fully committed to investing a significant amount of your own time in order to pass this course successfully. You will be required to demonstrate a wide range of skills to a high standard and complete written annotation throughout the preparatory work. An essay of 1000-3000 words is required in Year 13 and is a significant compulsory part of this course.
Most importantly, enjoyment, enthusiasm, passion and desire to be creative is essential.
The course is designed to continue the study of Art and Design from KS4. It is expected that students embarking on this course will have achieved a grade 6 or higher at GCSE to be successful in this subject area at A level. This course will prepare you to continue your studies in Art and Design at University or to enter an Art and Design career of your choice. Those students who have not studied the subject at GCSE level will need to see Mrs Porter in order to assess their portfolio.
Component 1: Portfolio of work and final outcome/s Personal study 1000‐3000‐word essay - 60% - Internally set, internally marked, externally moderated.
Component 2: Externally set assignment and final outcome/s - 40% - Externally set, internally marked; externally moderated.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Caistor Grammar School directly.