Economics - AQA A Level at East Durham College
Awarding Body - AQA
Students will apply economic theory to support analysis of current economic problems and issues and appreciate the interrelationships between microeconomics and macroeconomics. The content is engaging and students will relate to what they are learning to the world around them - locally, nationally and globally. Students will sit the AS exams at the end of year one and the A level exams at the end of year two.
• Economic methodology and the economic problems
• Price determination in a competitive market
• Production, costs and revenue
• The market mechanism, market failure and government intervention in markets
• The measurement of macro economic performance
• Economic performance
• Competitive and concentrated markets
• How the macro economy works
• Macro economic policy
All of the above, plus
• Perfect competition, imperfectly competitive markets and monopoly
• The labour market
• The distribution of income and wealth: poverty and inequality
• How the macro economy works: the circular flow of income, AD/AS analysis and related concepts
• Financial markets and monetary policy
• Fiscal policy and supply side policies
• The international economy
For Economics you will need grade B or above in GCSE Mathematics.
For a 3 A level programme you will need to have a minimum of 5 A* - C grade passes at GCSE which includes English and Mathematics.
For a 4 A level programme you will need to have a minimum of 6 A* - C grade passes at GCSE which includes English and Mathematics; it is expected that the majority of passes will be at A* - A grade.
Written examinations in June. Regular homework and class assessment
*We make every effort to publish correct fees, however all fees are subject to change. Fees are correct as at the current time and are subject to change up to the date of enrolment.
Those who have a good understanding of Economics will find rewarding occupations in finance, banking and management.
Economics is an established academic subject which can provide an excellent base for progression into higher education. Economists are highly sought after.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact East Durham College directly.