Accessibility links

Physical Education A Level at Kineton High School

Course description

This is a two year fully linear course. There are two theoretical components of the specification: Components 1 and 2. These combine to make up 70% of the qualification. The remaining 30% comes from Non Examined Assessment, which is split into Components 3 and 4, each consisting of 15% of the overall.

Component 1: Scientific Principles of Physical Education

Topic 1: Applied anatomy and physiology

Topic 2: Exercise physiology and applied movement analysis

Written examination: 2 hour and 30 minutes. Scored out of 140 marks and represents 40% of the qualification.

Component 2: Psychological and Social Principles of Physical Education

Topic 3: Skill acquisition

Topic 4: Sport psychology

Topic 5: Sport and society

Written examination: 2 hour and 30 minutes. Scored out of 100 marks and represents 30% of the qualification.

Component 3: Practical Performance

Skills performed in one physical activity as a player/performer OR skills performed in one physical activity as a coach.

Non-examined assessment: Internally marked and externally moderated. Scored out of 40 marks and represents 15% of the qualification.

Component 4: Performance Analysis and Performance Development Programme

Performance Analysis: Within their chosen role learners will investigate two components of a physical activity (one physiological component and either a technical or a tactical component) in order to analyse and evaluate the effectiveness of their own performance.

The Performance Development Programme (PDP) is designed to lead on from the learner’s Performance Analysis. The purpose of the PDP is to optimise the learner’s performance in the role of a player/performer or coach.

Non-examined assessment: Internally marked and externally moderated. Performance Analysis and Performance Development Programme Scored out of 40 marks and represents 15% of the qualification

Entry requirements

In order to study Physical Education A Level you will need to achieve 4 GCSE grades of C or above, including grade B or above in Science, plus evidence of representation in sport outside the school environment.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Kineton High School directly.

Last updated date: 08 February 2017
Provider logo

Key information

Venues