Engineering Construction Welding Level 3 Diploma at North Hertfordshire College
Our engineering and welding courses include lots of opportunities for you to get hands-on experience of the world of work, including:
- Work experience with businesses like Weldability and other local businesses
- Innovative tools and technology such as 3D printer, laser cutter, traditional and advanced Computer Numerical Control (CNC) manufacturing facility. The area is further supported by industry standard software for Computer Aided Design (CAD) manufacturing, including that for electronics and circuit design. Welding plants for Manual Metal Arc (MMA), Metal Inert/Active Gas) (MIG/MAG), Tungsten Inert Gas (TIG), oxyacetylene cutting/brazing and plasma cutting, allowing our students to learn and refine their skills to industry standards.
- Guest talks from employers from the local industry.
- Visits to universities and industries help learners deepen their understanding of the sector
The engineering and welding courses at NHC develop your knowledge and know-how in the sector through an engaging mix of both technical lessons and hands on practical experiences. You’ll advance your understanding of:
- Welding and fabrication: Welding and fabrication technology courses introduce engineering health and safety, preparation and quality control of welding projects, TIG/TAG/MMA welding for the engineering and construction industry and how to join plates in engineering construction by MIG/MAG welding.
- You will develop your understanding of the principles, methods and technology involved in engineering maintenance. It will focus on the welding of thick plate, thin plate and sheet metal, covering manufacturing, engineering and cutting techniques and assembly of engineering components as well as engineering environmental awareness.
- You will develop skills in handling tungsten inert gas, metal inert gas. You will also learn how to produce good weld joints, manual metal arc, oxy-acetylene, brazing, soldering as well as thermal and plasma cutting skills.
- Engineering: Engineering is a wide-ranging profession, applying scientific principles to the design and construction of various industrial and domestic products to the benefit of society and the environment. The courses are both theoretical and practical and you learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. These courses help you to acquire a greater understanding of the principles that help engineers and technicians to solve practical problems.
- The level 3 extended diploma course attracts the same UCAS points for university entrance as three AS/A levels, which means that when you have finished the course you can choose whether to get a job, an apprenticeship or go on to higher education.
Through this course you’ll learn about:
- Engineering health and safety
- Preparing and quality controlling the welding operation
You'll also be able to choose from optional units including:
- TIG welding for the engineering and construction industry
- TAG/MMA welding for the engineering and construction industry
- Join plate in engineering construction by MMA, MIG and MAG welding.
- Four GCSEs at grade C or above including maths and English; or,
- Four GSCEs at grade C or above, plus functional skills level 1 maths and English;
- A level 2 qualification in a relevant subject area, passed with a merit or distinction grade – plus maths and English GCSE grade C or above, or functional skills level 2 maths and English.
This course is assessed through assignments and projects - including a substantial final project at the end of the year. You’ll also sit exams if you’re doing maths or English GCSE or functional skills.
Price on application.
There are no tuition fees for students aged 16-18 years.
This programme is eligible for Advanced Learner Loans.
Possible charges for any trips or visits offered during the year will be independent of the tuition fees or any other student finance.
Financial help may be available for these costs, please contact Student Services for more information.
Having successfully completed this course, you’ll be able to progress to:
- Level 4 courses including HNC/HNDs and foundation degrees
- Paid employment in the sector.
Please visit our website for further information - www.nhc.ac.uk
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact North Hertfordshire College directly.