Business BTEC Level 3 at Guru Nanak Sikh Voluntary Aided Secondary School
The Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Business is an Applied General qualification. It is for post-16 learners who want to continue their education through applied learning and who aim to progress to higher education and ultimately to employment in the business sector. The qualification is equivalent in size to two A Levels, and it has been designed as a full two-year programme, normally taken alongside a further Level 3 qualification
The content of this qualification has been developed in consultation with academics to ensure that it supports progression to higher education. In addition, employers and professional bodies have been involved and consulted in order to confirm that the content is appropriate and consistent with current practice for learners planning to enter employment directly in the business sector. The qualification gives learners the knowledge, understanding and skills that underpin the business sector that will prepare them for further study or training. This includes the opportunity for learners to choose two units from a selection of options to supplement the mandatory units which reflect the key topics in business:
- business environments
- international business
5 GCSE grades A* - C
There are 6 mandatory units that learners must complete: 3 internal and 3 external. Learners must complete at least 2 optional units.
Internally assessed units
Most units in the sector are internally assessed and subject to external standards verification. This ensures that learners are assessed using a variety of styles to help them develop a broad range of transferable skills. Learners could be given opportunities to:
- write up the findings of their own research use case studies to explore complex or unfamiliar situations
- carry out projects for which they have choice over the direction and outcomes
- demonstrate practical and communication skills using appropriate presentations and role plays.
Grading decisions will be based on the requirements and supporting guidance given in the units. Learners may not make repeated submissions of assignment evidence.
Externally assessed units
The styles of external assessment used for qualifications in the Business suite are:
- examinations – all learners take the same assessment at the same time, normally with a written outcome
- set tasks – learners take the assessment during a defined window and demonstrate understanding through completion of a vocational task. Some external assessments include a period of preparation using set information.
External assessments are available once or twice a year and learners can have only one resit attempt during the programme.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Guru Nanak Sikh Voluntary Aided Secondary School directly.