Physical Education A level at Lowestoft Sixth Form College
This is a dynamic and stimulating course, which will help you develop an appreciation of the importance and nature of sport and exercise. It offers opportunities to learn in a practical and proactive way, incorporating your own talents and interest. The course has been designed to include a broad approach to sport science and sociocultural studies with both the performer and non-performer in mind. In addition, it is accepted as excellent preparation for those wishing to enter into Higher Education.
The A level is academically based with theoretical study, combined with a practical element of sports performance, officiating and/or coaching. Candidates should be regularly participating at a high level in their chosen sport.
You will develop a range of skills through units which will include:
- Unit 1 – Anatomy and physiology, nutrition, skill acquisition and sport sociology
- Unit 2 – Practical sport, officiating, coaching, applied exercise physiology, practical skill acquisition
- Unit 3 – Biomechanics, exercise physiology, sports psychology and contemporary influences in sport
- Unit 4 – Practical sport, analysis of performance.
- Discuss the issues that surround sport in today’s world
- Look at how the body works and how you can help it work better
- Discover how to prepare for optimum sports performance.
You must have a minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade C or above. Of these you must have English Language, Mathematics and Science, a grade C in GCSE PE is preferred but not essential. You must be performing to a reasonable level (e.g. club level) in at least one of the activities in which you will be assessed, as your practical skills will be tested. If you are a coach or official then you may be assessed on that basis rather than performance.
Combined with A-Level subjects such as biology, sociology and psychology, you will be equipped to study sport science-related degrees such as sport management, sport therapy, teaching, sport coaching and physiotherapy.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Lowestoft Sixth Form College directly.