Business Studies AS & A Level at Bishop Douglass School
The syllabus is designed to convey some of the basic factual information surrounding businesses and their operations and to enable evaluation of them and their place in today’s society. The underlying theme of the syllabus is the objective of business organisations and how these objectives are attained. The syllabus is not intended to be vocational. It aims to make candidates think about business in a ‘critical’ manner examining both favourable and unfavourable aspects.
Students are expected to keep up-to-date with events in the world of business by reading business magazines and newspapers, following business programmes on television and radio and by attending conferences.
Students should have a good level of Maths (grade C and above) and have a real interest in the Business World.
- What is business?
- Managers, leadership and decision making
- Decision making to improve marketing performance
- Decision making to improve operational performance
- Decision making to improve financial performance
- Decision making to improve human resource performance
Minimum of 5x GCSE A*-C with at least a C grade in Business/English.
AQA Examination Board
Unit 1: Business 1
50% of AS 1 hr 30 minutes
Three compulsory sections:
- Section A has 10 multiple choice questions (MCQs) worth 10 marks.
- Section B has short answer questions worth approximately 20 marks.
- Section C has two data response stimuli with questions worth approximately 25 marks.
Unit 2: Business 2
50% of AS 1 hr 30 min
One compulsory case study consisting of approximately seven questions.
Before the qualification can be awarded, students must undertake both the assessments
This course is suitable for those students who wish to pursue a career in the business environment, or who wish to set up their own business. It is also suitable for those who wish to study business at a higher level or even a business related course such as law, economics, accounting, finance, management and politics.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bishop Douglass School directly.