Art at Moseley School and Sixth Form
OCR Advanced GCE in Art Further Study/Work 16-19 year old Students AS/A2. Coursework Portfolio plus Examinations Please contact the School for further information In year two you will produce a Specialist Project building on the skills and knowledge from the first year. You will then produce a Personal Study where you will be able to study an aspect of the visual arts which is of particular interest to you. You will
You will have opportunities to develop personal responses to ideas, observations, experiences, environments and cultures in practical, critical and contextual forms. You will explore painting, printing, photography, sculpture and craft. The subject encourages an independent response to a subject area of your choice. Visiting galleries and exhibitions independently form a critical part of the course to broaden your understanding of the subject.
The aims of the course are to encourage candidates to develop:
• intellectual, imaginative, creative and intuitive powers
• investigative, analytical, experimental, practical, technical and expressive skills, aesthetic understanding and critical judgement
• independence of mind in relation to developing their own ideas, refining their own intentions and personal outcomes
• an interest in, enthusiasm for and enjoyment of art, craft and design
• the experience of working with a broad range of media, including traditional and new media and technologies
• an understanding of the interrelationships between art, craft and design processes and an awareness of the contexts in which they operate
• experience of working within relevant and real frameworks and, where appropriate, to make links to the creative industries
• knowledge, understanding and application of art, craft, design and media and technologies in contemporary and past societies and cultures
• an awareness of different roles, functions, audiences and consumers of art, craft and designpractice.
50% of AS, 25% of A Level
No time limit
Portfolio of work set and marked by the centre and moderated by AQA
AS Externally Set Assignment
50% of AS, 25% of A Level
Supervised time 5 hours
Work produced will be marked by the centre and moderated by AQA
5Art GCSE grade C or above.
1 coursework portfolio
1 externally set assignment
For further information, please contact the course co-ordinator above.
Careers and Higher Education Opportunities
Progress to A2, Foundation Art course, degree.
Areas for further study = textiles, fashion, media, photography, Illustration, Painting (Fine Art), Animation, Computer designing.
Career examples = Teacher, gallery coordinator, Graphic designer,
Advertising, multi media design, Editorial design,
Extra-curricular enrichment opportunities
Year 12 and 13 students will have an opportunity to exhibit their artwork at Birmingham City University. They will gain experience in how to display their work for exhibition purposes and family and friends will have an opportunity to attend the exhibition.
We offer trips to art galleries and for any students wanting to progress with art to degree level we will take students to BCU to look at the foundation degree course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Moseley School and Sixth Form directly.