Childcare and Education - Level 3 (Full-Time) at Newcastle College
This is the new nationally recognised Gold Standard qualification approved by the Department for Education and National College for Teaching and Learning that prepares you to become a practicing Early Years Educator with children from birth to 5 years and providing you with additional knowledge of working with children aged 5-7 years.
Your course will be delivered by highly experienced Early Years and Childcare staff and you will undertake workplacement and use our Little Acorns simulation nursery room.
Learners will study a range of units which must be completed in order to progress through the qualification at each stage. The knowledge gained during these is essential for working with children in Early Years settings:
- Child development from conception to seven years
- Children's health and wellbeing
- Providing safe environments for children
- Child health
- Play and learning
- Understanding children's additional needs
- Observation, assessment and planning
- Professional Practice Portfolio 1
- Supporting emergent literacy
- Supporting emergent mathematics
- Preparing for school readiness
- International Perspectives
- Reflective practice for professional development
- Professional partnerships in early years
- Professional Practice Portfolio 2
- work placement 2 days per week in a range of Early Years settings with children aged 0 - 5 years with some block weeks. For this you will need a compulsory DBS clearance.
Maths and English form part of every programme of study for students who have yet to secure a GCSE grade C or above, in these subjects. This will enhance job and career opportunities, and where appropriate, progression to higher education.
- 5 GCSE's grades A-C including English Language and Maths
- DBS Clearance
You will be continually assessed during your studies using the following methods:
- Written Assignments
- Direct Work Placement Observations
- Longitudinal Studies
- Reflective Accounts
- Witness Statements
- Certificate - 1 externally marked effective practice study task
- Diploma - 1 externally marked effective practice study task and 1 extended assessment task
Personal tutors will support your progression into employment or higher education throughout your studies.
Successful completion of the Diploma course allows you to progress to higher level qualifications such as Primary Teaching, Foundation Degree in Children and Young People, Social Work, Health Visiting and Paediatric Nursing.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Newcastle College directly.