Physical Education A-Level at John Port School
AS and A level in physical education equips students with both a depth and breadth of knowledge, understanding and skills relating to scientific, socio-cultural and practical aspects of physical education. This will require you to:
- Develop theoretical knowledge and understanding of the factors that underpin physical activity and sport and use this knowledge to improve performance
- Understand how physiological and psychological states affect performance
- Understand the key socio-cultural factors that influence people’s involvement in physical activity and sport
- Understand the role of technology in physical activity and sport
- Refine your ability to perform effectively in physical activity and sport by developing skills and techniques and selecting and using tactics, strategies and/or compositional ideas
- Develop your ability to analyse and evaluate to improve performance
- Understand the contribution which physical activity makes to health and fitness
- Improve as an effective and independent learner and as a critical and reflective thinker with a curious and enquiring mind
A level in Physical Education will cover the following topics:
- Applied Anatomy and Exercise Physiology
- Biomechanical movement
- Skill Acquisition
- Sport Psychology
- Sport and Society
- The role of technology in physical activity and sport
In addition to the standard ‘A’ level entry requirements for all sixth form applications at John Port School, applicants for A level PE will also require:
- GCSE PE at grade ‘B’ or above. (May consider students who have not studied GCSE PE , but have a strong sports performance background (eg. County standard performer or above), as well as GCSE Science at grade ‘B’ or above.
- Evidence of current and regular practical sporting performance skills at school team level, or above. (E.g. District, County, Regional, National standard) in one or more sports that are included by AQA in list of accepted activities for assessment.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact John Port School directly.