Plumbing Studies Level 1 Diploma at Carlisle College
This qualification focuses on fundamental plumbing practical skills and knowledge. Successful completion of the qualification will ensure that the learner will have gained an understanding of the core skills and knowledge required by a plumber working within the plumbing sector. The qualification does not require occupational evidence. Satisfactory completion of studies will lead to the EAL Level 1 Diploma in plumbing.
- Understand and demonstrate fundamental copper tube practical plumbing applications
- Understand and demonstrate fundamental low carbon steel pipework practical plumbing applications
- Understand and demonstrate fundamental common plumbing processes
- Understand and demonstrate fundamental plastic pipework practical plumbing applications
- Understand fundamental plumbing systems
- Understand and demonstrate drilling and fixing methods of pipe supports and brackets appropriate to practical plumbing applications
- Understand and demonstrate fundamental safe working practices in building services engineering
- Understand fundamental environmental protection measures within Building Services Engineering
- Understand fundamental scientific principles within building services engineering
- Introduction to Building Services Engineering
- Maths and English at an appropriate level
As part of your programme of study, there is an expectation that you undertake a timetabled work placement or experience block of learning, this is designed to enable you to gain experience of the industry.
4 GCSEs at grades D-G, a Level 1 vocational qualification or equivalent, mature students with relevant experience and/or other qualifications may be eligible. At least 16 years old with an interest in the plumbing industry. Subject to initial assessment and interview.
On-going assessment will take place throughout the course. All assessments within this qualification are externally set (by EAL), centre marked assignments and practical assessments.
You may be able to progress to the level 2 diploma or an apprenticeship, if you gain employment as a plumber.
All full time students will be required to purchase a vocational kit before commencement of the course; this will consist of the following:
- Safety footwear with steel toe caps & heat resistant soles. (No safety training shoes)
- A boiler suit (not work pants)
- An A4 rip out note pad
- Coloured pens
- Highlighter pens/pencils
- A simple calculator – NOT a mobile phone calculator
- An A4 ring binder
- Plastic wallets for A4 sheets
A text book from one of the following:
- Plumbing NVQ/Technical Certificate) - Heinemann
- Plumbing-Steven Muscroft
- Plumbing-RD Treloar (3rd Edition)
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Carlisle College directly.