Business Level 3 at Gunnersbury Catholic School
A BTEC National Diploma is a practical, work-related course. Students learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic business and workplace situations, activities and demands. Students focus on a particular subject area and develop a range of specialist skills and knowledge.
It is equivalent to three full A levels. The Diploma provides both a broad foundation of business education and firm basis for specialism in a selected avenue of business activity, either at university or in industry.
The National Diploma is made up of 18 coursework units. A number of business visits and speakers are planned into the course including 2 weeks work experience.
Below are some examples of the topic areas that will be covered on the course: * How to develop a critical understanding of business organisations, the markets they serve and the process of adding value
- The internal workings and management of organisations.
- The process of decision making in a dynamic external environment.
- How business behaviour can be influenced by a range of people and organisations including customers, managers, creditors, owners/shareholders and employees.
- What outside factors influence the operations of a business such as the state of the economy, the environment, ethical considerations, the government, the law, social and technological issues and associated business activity.
- Techniques to analyse and solve business problems.
- The importance in a business of setting objectives.
- Financial control of businesses
- How human resources are planned.
Applicants will be required at least 5 GCSE passes at grade C or better PLUS grade C in either GCSE English Language or Maths.
There are now examinations in the National Diploma. Over the two years in Sixth Form, you will be continually assessed through 18 coursework units. All of these are internally assessed and moderated by the Exam Board.
You will be able to attain one of three grades for each of the 18 coursework units:
Distinction, Merit or Pass
to make up your final three grades.
Upon completion of the two year course, students can embark on either a university undergraduate degree or full employment or further training.
Previous successful Gunnersbury students have gone onto the following universities:
- University of Surrey
- Bournmouth University
- Roehampton University
- Brighton University
- Brunel University
- Royal Holloway (University of London)
- Queen Mary (University of London)
to start undergraduate degrees in a range of subjects including:
- Accountancy and Finance
- Business and Management
- International Business
- Education and Disability Studies
To find out more about this qualification, contact us, ask your Connexions Personal Adviser or school/college careers staff.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Gunnersbury Catholic School directly.