Sport (1, 2 or 3 x A level Equivalent) BTEC National Edexcel at The Canterbury Academy
- aim of this qualification is to provide an introduction to the sports and leisure industry and give learners the knowledge, understanding and skills they need to prepare for employment in the sports sector, with a specific focus on sports development, coaching and fitness. You will learn theory based principles which relate to practical activities and develop your knowledge of fitness requirements for sport.
If you have a real interest in sport and the aspects surrounding and supporting sports development, coaching and fitness then this course is for you. It will give you the opportunity to develop your knowledge and investigate a wide range of aspects, from the psychological to the nutritional, from the scientific to the sociological.
The course is delivered by specialist teachers in classrooms and a variety of sports facilities. This course provides an excellent springboard from which to progress onto a degree in a sports related area. It will also develop your knowledge of sport should you want to a career in sports once you have completed the course.
Level 3 BTEC Sport Extended Diploma Development, Coaching and Fitness is a 19 unit course that explores aspects of sport and management, the management of the sport and recreation industry. All units are assessed by the creation of a portfolio of evidence (coursework) and are designed to give you an understanding of different aspects of the sport and recreation industry.
Units you will complete on the course:
- Principles of Anatomy and Physiology in Sport
- The Physiology of Fitness
- Assessing Risk in Sport
- Fitness Training and Programming
- Sports Coaching
- Sports Development
- Fitness Testing for Sport and Exercise
- Practical Team Sports
- Sports Nutrition
- Current Issues in Sport
- Leadership in Sport
- Exercise, Health and Lifestyle
- Instructing Physical Activity and Exercise
- Exercise for Specific Groups
- Psychology for Sports Performance
- Sports Injuries
- Sports Massage
- Rules Regulations and Officiating in Sport
- Organising Sports Events
Assessment is 100% coursework through a variety of coursework-based methods, including case studies, observation of practical work and assignments.
Ideally a grade 6 or above in GCSE PE or merit or above in BTEC Sport Level 2.
With further training, you could go into a job related to sport such as a coach, trainer or gym instructor. The course provides a work related programme of study, enabling you to go straight into the sport sector as it helps you develop the skills, understanding and knowledge that many employers are looking for, especially in the sport and exercise sector.
These courses will prepare you for further education in areas of sport such as Sports Science, Sports Coaching amongst degree courses in the sport field.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.