Music Technology BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at Carlisle College
This one year course is designed for progressing Music Technology students who wish to extend and further develop their skills and knowledge in music recording, sound production, events management and project development. The course is predominately project led with collaborations with Music, Media and Performing Arts courses and prepares students for employment as well as Higher Education. It provides students with exciting hands on vocational learning experiences.
You will study eight units throughout the academic year, one worth 2 modules of 10 credits each and options for pathways to allow students to tailor their own learning experience. These units will include:
- Marketing and Promotion in the Music Industry
- Music and Sound for the Moving Image OR Contemporary Songwriting Techniques (pathway)
- Special Subject Investigation
- Working and Developing as a Musical Ensemble
- Backline Technical Management
- Planning and Delivering a Music Product (worth 20 credits)
- The Functional Music Keyboard
- Music and Society
(Units may vary each year)
Most units are delivered and assessed through industry related projects that put students into real industry situations including:
- Producing and Launching an Album or EP
- Creation of Promotional Artwork
- Organising an Album or EP Launch Event
- Moving Image Sound Design and Music Composition
Students will have opportunities to be involved in extra-curricular activities across all courses that run at the college and will be encouraged to collaborate wherever possible.
- BTEC Level 3 90-Credit Diploma in Music Technology at Merit or above
- 5 GCSEs at grades A* - C to include English & Maths
As this is a progression course applicants should have completed the BTEC Level 3 90-Credit Diploma in Music Technology at a Merit level as well as have good instrumental skills, vocal skills or demonstrable production skills.
You will be assessed in a mixture of different ways such as:
- Technical Live Shows
- Digital Productions and Portfolios
- Formal Tests
- Observed Workshops
A BTEC Extended Diploma is a recognised qualification that is accepted by most Higher Education Institutions as an alternative/ additional qualification to traditional A Levels. During the Extended Diploma course students are supported through the UCAS application system to progress onto undergraduate level study. You may decide to go straight into employment at the end of your studies, and where possible industry relevant work placements are found and core functional skills are developed to the next level.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Carlisle College directly.