Design and Technology: Food Science & Nutrition Level 3 Diploma (Block D) at Walton High School
- Students who wish to gain a deeper insight into nutrition
- Students with good ICT capabilities
- Those who want to broaden their Post 16 Study
- Provides opportunities for students to produce high quality food products
The food course is taught by experienced and supportive staff who are enthusiastic about the course. The food rooms are a well-equipped and include commercial equipment. The department has a proven record of good results.
- Unit 1 Nutritional needs
- Unit 2 Food Safey
- Unit 3 Experimenting to solve food production problems
Students will have attained 5 GCSE’s at A* - C (Ideally including Food but not essential)
Unit 1 - Nutritional Needs -Project work
- To be completed in 9 ½ hours (3 hrs planning, 3 ½ hours practical exam of which ½ hr for preparation, 3 hr evaluation)
- Need to make 3 dishes
Unit 1 - Nutritional Needs
- 90 minutes exam plus 15 minutes reading time
- A mixture of short answer questions, extended answer questions and a case study to complete.
- No spelling, punctuation, and grammar marks
Unit 2 - Food Safety - Written task externally moderated
- 8 hour written task
- Research can be done outside of the 8 hours but must be exam conditions for the 8 hours.
- Scenarios set by exam board and change yearly.
Unit 3 - Experimenting to solve food production problems - Project work
- 12 hour project
- Need to identify issues and investigate food production problems identified from set scenario
- Includes 2-5 practical investiations to help improve products
The diploma is the equivalent to a full A Level in UCAS points and is recognised by universities.
This course is an excellent subject choice to support the following career choices:
Sports science, Physiotherapy, Health care, Catering, Midwifery, Dietician, Medicine, Food manufacturing and management, Teaching, Food microbiologist, Marketing & Research, Retail
Please select one subject per option block (A, B, C, D and E - listed in Course Title) to ensure there is no clash on your timetable.
By and large most students will follow 3 academic A Levels plus will have the opportunity to add to this with the Extended Project and our Enrichment Programme.
A few students may be able to follow a 4th A Level with advice from our Sixth Form Management team.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Walton High School directly.