Biology A Level at Excelsior Academy
A level Biology is the course for you if:
- You are keen to learn new skills.
- You have a natural curiosity and interest in the living world.
- You are interested in further education at degree level, this A level is recognised by all universities and employers.
A level biology is split into 8 units that are studied over two years, these include:
- Biological molecules
- Organisms exchanges with their environment
- Genetic information and variation
- Energy transfers in and between organisms
- Organisms response to changes in their environments
- Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems
- The control of gene expression
A minimum of BB in Science and Cs in Mathematics and English at GCSE.
All assessments are external exams with no coursework element. There will be however be a range of practical activities set by the exam board that pupils will undertake and be awarded a pass in practical competency. AS units are assessed by two external exams each 1 ½ hours long.
In the second year there are three exams. Two that are based on the A2 subject content that are 2 hour papers and a third exam which has synoptic content (from the other 8 units) and an essay question.
A level Biology can open a lot of doors due to the skills acquired throughout the course and the range of possible job opportunities is vast. For those that are thinking of a career relating to Science the list of possible Biology related degrees is long and includes subjects like: Biochemistry, Zoology, Botany, Forensic S c i e n c e , M i c r o b i o l o g y, G e n e t i c s, Environmental Science, Pharmacology, Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Science.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Excelsior Academy directly.