Accessibility links

Physical Education A Level at Accrington and Rossendale College

Course description

Sport & fitness is a huge industry… and you can be part of it. If you’re keen on sport you can make a healthy living from your passion. Whether that’s working for a football club, as a personal trainer at the local gym, or training to be a physiotherapist, there are lots of opportunities. Students will have the chance to use some of the department’s excellent facilities, including the 3G pitch, Gym, Sports Halls & Sports Laboratory where scientific fitness analysis and testing takes place.

Course content

In the first year there are two main study topics. The first of these covers the beneficial effects of a healthy lifestyle and includes subjects like the visit physiological effects of exercise and how people acquire sports skills.

In the second study topic you’ll learn how to analyse and evaluate an athlete’s performance, how to improve performance, and the factors affecting gaining new skills. In the second year you’ll have two main study topics again. The first continues with the theme of optimising the performance of an athlete. This includes how physiology can improve performance for elite athletes, as well as studying the important topics within sport today. The second study topic looks at performance in competitive situations. This includes the observation and analysis of weaknesses, along with ways of correcting any errors the athlete is making.


In the first year you’ll have two assessments. The first is a written paper which covers the first study topic of the year. This paper accounts for 60% of your marks for the year.

The second assessment is a practical exercise where you will be -marked as a player and/or coach and/or official, depending on your personal goals. This practical assessment is based on the second study topic of the year and accounts for 40% of your marks for the year. A pass is recognised with an AS level.

The assessment for the second year is the same. A two hour paper on the first study topic of the year accounts for 60% of your marks. Then a practical performance in a competitive situation as a coach, official or performer, along with your oral and written presentation on how to correct weaknesses in an athlete, will account for the remaining 40% of marks for the year.

Future opportunities

The subjects you learn about will be invaluable at a personal level and will help you to be better at sport, no matter what your standard. This A Level also opens up a whole number of career options. Like sport scientist, teacher, professional and semi-professional athlete, physiotherapist, or working for a national governing body.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Accrington and Rossendale College directly.

Last updated date: 15 January 2016
Provider logo

Key information