Hospitality and Professional Cookery (Introduction) City and Guilds Level 1 Diploma at Herefordshire & Ludlow College
Depending upon your aspirations, the course provides an introductory pathway and can take you through to advanced level study.
The course also offers the opportunity of work experience in the industry. The College regularly takes part in annual events, such as the Gold Cup week at Cheltenham, where learners gain valuable experience of large-scale event catering.
The world of hospitality and catering is exciting and diverse, employing over 2 million people and providing a wide range of services.
This Level 1 Diploma is an ideal starting point for those looking for a career in this industry. The qualification covers all aspects of food and beverage service.
Much of the course will be delivered in the College’s training kitchens and restaurant. During these sessions you will develop a wide range of practical skills in food production and service whilst learning to work as part of a team.
In addition, you will learn about the industry and the theory behind these practical sessions, including health and safety. The course is designed for learners to work at their own pace and progress from Levels 1 to 2 over a period of two years.
You will cover a diverse range of topics throughout your course. A selection of unit titles is shown below:
- Introduction to the Catering and Hospitality Industry
- Introduction to Personal Workplace Skills
- Prepare and Cook a Variety of Food
- Food Safety in Catering
- 2 GCSEs at grade E or above in English and maths
- All applicants will undergo an initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Places will be offered following a satisfactory interview
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
You will be assessed by practical skill tests and on a continuous basis within a realistic working environment. You will also be required to produce a portfolio of evidence to be certified by your assessors. Theoretical aspects of the programme will mainly be assessed through assignments and internal and external test papers.
Study options may include:
- Level 2 Diploma in Professional Cookery
- Level 2 Diploma in Hospitality and Catering
Employment options may include:
- Food and Beverage Personnel
- Chef and Cooks
- Event Catering
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Herefordshire & Ludlow College directly.