Design & Technology AS & A Level at Coleg Sir Gar
- Design and Technology is about the application of engineering skills, knowledge and understanding.
- The course is delivered in a practical way to enable candidates to recognise the purpose of knowledge and to be able to draw on it in practical solutions
- The course encourages students to adopt an investigative approach, applying knowledge of engineering and the real world Coursework is intended to provide students with an opportunity to apply engineering theories and concepts
- Successful students will be able to apply knowledge of Design and Technology to understanding engineering problems and potential solutions
- AS level students complete an examination paper (unit 1) and a design and make task (unit 2)
- A level students complete an examination paper (unit 3) and a major project (unit 4)
This course takes a practical, engineering, approach to design and technology, considering designing and making products. The design topics include innovation, product analysis, human responsibility and public interaction. The Â“makingÂ” topics include materials and components, industrial and commercial practice, processes and production systems and controls.
Normally students 16 - 19 years of age will require a minimum of 6 GCSEs at grades A* - C, one of which must be either GCSE Mathematics or GCSE English Language. Entry for mature students without formal qualifications is at the discretion of the College.
Design and Technology is assessed with an examination and an engineering project which involves a design portfolio, supported by a sketchbook and the associated product.
A levels provide an excellent basis for progression to higher education to study higher national diplomas or degrees. This could be full or part time with employment. Sponsorship for higher education is available from local engineering industry.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.