A Level English Literature at Holmer Green Senior School
Students will become critically engaged with a wide range of texts spanning across different historical periods from every genre including Drama, Prose and Poetry. Students will become adept at critical analysis involving deep analysis of the historical context and its impact on the production of the texts. Students will become skilled at writing high quality textual analyses which show appreciation of the writer’s craft and the impact of language on meaning making whilst exploring timeless ideas such as war & peace, love & hate, revenge, prejudice and social inequality.
The course will provide the following skills:
- Articulate informed, personal and creative responses to literary texts, using associated concepts and terminology, and coherent, accurate written expression.
- Analyse ways in which meanings are shaped in literary texts.
- Demonstrate understanding of the significance and influence of the contexts in which Literary texts are written and received.
- Explore connections across literary texts.
- The ability to investigate texts through critical analysis.
- The ability to read with more awareness and insight.
Paper 1: Love through the Ages: Shakespeare and Poetry . Study of two texts: one Shakespeare play and one AQA Anthology of Love Poetry through the Ages (Pre -1900 or Post-1900) .
Paper 2: Love through the Ages: Prose . Study of two prose texts Examination will include an unseen prose extract .
Paper 1: Love through the Ages . Study of three texts: one poetry and one prose text, of which one must be written pre-1900, and one Shakespeare play.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Holmer Green Senior School directly.