Photography A level at St Robert of Newminster Roman Catholic School
A‐Level photography is an art and design‐based A level specialising in a range of lens‐based media including digital media, location work, studio work, Photoshop, installation and creative experimental work.
The course offers an introduction to photography within a framework of general art and design issues such as contextual awareness. It provides a basis for progression to Art and Design related qualifications such as the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design or Higher Education.
The course will explore how photography is used to convey messages and meaning. Students must employ creative approaches which go beyond simple observation and recording.
Areas which are explored include:
- the use of photography to record in a personal way experiences, ideas information and insights appropriate to intentions;
- the analysis and critical evaluation of photographic images to demonstrate an understanding of purposes, meanings and contexts;
- the use of photography to develop ideas through sustained investigations and selection of materials, processes and resources, identifying and interpreting relationships and analysing methods and outcomes;
- the use of photography to present a personal, coherent and informed response, realising intentions, and articulating and explaining connections with the work of others;
- the different genres, styles and traditions of photography;
- the use of equipment and techniques experimentation beyond the traditional flat print using a variety of techniques and settings including montage, printing onto/incorporating other materials/media, 3D constructions, installations and work presented as visual essays contextual references and the work of others.
5A* - C
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Robert of Newminster Roman Catholic School directly.